When you're planning your wedding, you don't want to forget the little details that go…
20 Best Wedding Cake Cutting Songs
We all know that very few wedding guests leave before the cake is cut. Seeing the bride and groom slice into their cake is a tradition, but the background jams help define the moment. That’s why we put together this list of the best wedding cake cutting songs! If you’re stumped, just check out this list of 20 wedding cake cutting songs. We’ll also give you some insight as to why the wedding cake song is such a big deal!
Tradition Behind the Wedding Cake Cutting and Song
A cake is just a cake, right? Not when it’s your wedding cake! Chances are you had many tastings to find the perfect combination of cake and frosting. So, when you’re ready to slice into it, you’ll need the right song to serenade the moment!
Just like the reception tunes and the wedding walk-out song finale, the right wedding cake cutting song should suit your style as a couple. Some people go traditional, while others take the funny route…there’s no right or wrong here, it’s whatever feels right for you both.
Some believe that watching the newlywed couple cut the cake is a symbol of their newly formed union. Others say cutting the bottom tier of the cake is a sign of the longevity of their relationship and the years to come in their marriage. Whichever you believe (or neither) is okay!
It’s still important to choose a wedding song that will be played as you and your spouse cut your cake.
Here are some songs to think about. You’ll want to give them a listen from start to finish so you can hear the lyrics and see if you truly love the song. You may like the first few seconds, but not the entire thing. You need to love it from start to finish before making your decision!
Best Overall Wedding Cake Cutting Songs
Here are some suggestions if you’re looking for a wedding cake cutting song to remember:
- “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You),” by James Taylor
- “Sugar, Sugar,” by The Archies
- “A Kiss to Build a Dream On,” by Louis Armstrong
- “Pour Some Sugar on Me,” by Def Leppard
- “Sugar,” by Maroon 5
- “Yummy,” by Justin Bieber
- “Love on Top,” by Beyonce
- “How Sweet It Is,” by Michael Bublé
- “This Will Be (An Everlasting Love),” by Natalie Cole
- “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch),” by Four Tops
Country Wedding Cake Cutting Songs
- “Just Fall in Love Again,” by Anne Murray
- “Chapel of Love,” by Dixie Cups
- “This Kiss,” by Faith Hill
- “Are you Gonna Kiss Me or Not,” by Thompson Square
- “I’m In,” by Radney Foster
Funny Cake Cutting Songs
- “Cake,” by Flo Rida & 99 Percent
- “Watermelon Sugar,” by Harry Styles
- “Eat It,” by Weird Al Yankovic
- “Milkshake,” by Kellis
- “This Is What You Came For,” by Calvin Harris featuring Rihanna
Frequently Asked Questions about Wedding Cake Cutting Songs
Is a cake-cutting song necessary?
While it’s not mandatory, it’s common for couples to like to play a song while cutting the cake together and feeding each other a slice.
How long should a cake-cutting song be?
The cake-cutting ritual usually lasts for about three minutes, so you want to choose a song that’s long enough to cover what’s going on. If you want to extend the cake cutting, you may need a longer song or two short songs. Just let the DJ know what you need and you should be all set.
Are You Looking for a Wedding DJ in North Carolina?
If you’re planning a wedding in Gastonia, Matthews, Concord, NC, or the surrounding areas, Sound Explosion Mobile DJ is here. We have professional DJs who will make your wedding a day to remember. Call us today at (704) 957-6639 or reach out to us online so we can help you start to plan your special day.